Physical Education Teacher
Elementary School is seeking an experienced and dedicated Physical Education teacher to coordinate their team in August 2015.
Candidates should be qualified to teach all aspects of the curriculum including swimming and Personal, Social and Health Education. Experience of teaching the PYP and fluency in the French language would be beneficial.
The Coordinator Position provides coordination of the teaching team and the physical education curriculum.
The coordinator :
- Ensures that the curriculum (P-K to Grade 5) is implemented effectively, reviewed regularly and updated as needed.
- Collaborates with colleagues to ensure there is a seamless and vertical articulation to the school-wide P.E. curriculum.
- Assists with the development of the Elementary School P.E. schedule.
- Oversees the use of PE equipment and supplies in regard to the Elementary School PE budget. Purchases will have approval of the Elementary School Principal.
- Liaises with the Athletic Director to ensure PE equipment and supplies are properly used, maintained, inventoried and stored.
- Reports the need for repairs within the sports hall and sports arena complex to the maintenance department, copying the Athletic Director and monitor the progress of such.
- Ensures that locker rooms are appropriately supervised.
- Liaises with the Athletic Director, Middle and High School Physical Education Coordinators to ensure a seamless blend of the P.E. curriculum and the sports program.
- Attends regular meetings with the school PE staff, the Athletic Director and the Elementary School staff as required.
- Liaises with the Elementary Principal and PYP coordinator on any issues representing the PE department.
It is expected that each faculty member of St. John's have knowledge of the school’s basic philosophy, agree to support this system of education and be willing to enforce the regulations of the school.
In support of the IBO/PYP Standards and Practices and the St. John’s mission and philosophy each Elementary School Faculty member is expected to demonstrate and model the following:
- a thorough knowledge of and support for the St. John's and IBO philosophy and policy
- positive school spirit and support of all aspects of the school programs, keeping up to date with activities and events through newsletters, emails and information from administration.
- cooperation and flexibility, accepting responsibility and taking on different roles to support the programme
- support for language learning in the language of instruction, in the host country language and the mother tongue
Leadership and Structure:
- respect and adherence to structures designed to support the implementation of the programme: deadlines and due dates set by administration, respect for the lines of communication and chain of command within the school.
- personal and professional goal-setting which supports the elementary school goals and promotes individual growth for the individual member of staff.
Resources and Support:
- participation in the required in-service days staff meetings, team meetings, and all PYP meetings (both full-time and part-time employees)
- a willingness to seek information to further his/her knowledge of PYP through participation in on-going educational opportunities such as workshops, in-service, faculty meetings and professional literature
- manage and use resources to facilitate in-depth inquiry into the transdiciplinary and disciplinary dimensions of the curriculum
- a commitment to collaboration with colleagues in planning, assessment and reflection
- make use of the PYP planner and planning process across the curriculum
- participation in collaborative planning opportunities throughout the year and maintaining lines of communication
- develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of the written curriculum through the Scope and Sequence documents, Programme of Inquiry and unit planners
- participate in regular reviews and updates of curriculum documentation
Teaching and Learning:
- ensure that students experience coherence in their learning through the implementation of the PYP
- use inquiry across the curriculum, addressing the competencies, experiences, learning needs and styles of the students
- provide a learning environment in which students can work independently and collaboratively
- integrity, honesty, and fairness in promoting the cultures, languages, identities and self-esteem of all students
- encourage students to take meaningful action as a result of their learning
- ensure assessment is integral to planning, teaching and learning throughout the school
- understanding and use of a range of assessment practices to recognize the individuality of each student
- provide opportunities for self-assessment and reflection and feedback on learning to inform students and parents
- maintain student assessment data to provide evidence of learning over time.
We are looking for candidates interested in being added to our list of substitute teachers for Elementary School. Interested candidates should send their CV to Anne Marchi