(Please scroll down for vacancies)
Founded in 1964, St John’s International School (SJIS) is a private non-profit educational institution that is owned by the Faithful Companions of Jesus (FcJ). It is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSACS), the most recent re-accreditation being in 2012.
SJIS’s basic tenant is to offer an international education through Christian values with a pedagogy emphasizing the International Baccalaureate’s approach of critical thinking skills, creativity, collaboration and inquiry-based learning.
- Over 700 students from 50 countries pursue a challenging academic curriculum that includes an emphasis on development in athletics and the arts, all within the context of the ethos and values that make St John’s unique.
- The highly educated, qualified and dedicated international teaching faculty makes the difference for the students at St John’s. Among more than 15 nationalities represented, 20% come from the UK, 23% from the US and 23% from Belgium. More than 50% of the faculty holds advanced degrees.
- SJIS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School and offers the PYP and Diploma programs in addition to the American High School Diploma. Last year, 84% of the graduating class at St. John’s matriculated with the IB diploma in addition to the St. John’s diploma.
- The School is a member of International Baccalaureate (IB), CIS, MSA, ISSTs International School Sports Tournament (ISSTs), International Schools Theatre Association (ISTA), Association of Music in International Schools (AMIS), the International Mathematica Teacher Foundation and participates in other external academic competitions.
- Campus facilities, academic programs and extracurricular activities cover a wide-variety of options for students of all ages. St. John’s has a strong Service Program running throughout the entire school.
- English is the language of instruction throughout the school, French is taught as a second language K-12. A dual language program in English and French is offered as an option, currently operating from grades K through grade 2. In addition from 8th grade onwards, Dutch, German, Spanish and Swedish are offered.
- SJIS has a very strong student support program available throughout the school.
- SJIS utilizes the Moodle data system and management software (MS & HS), Studywiz and Managebac for ES, Net classroom.
- Nearly 100% of High School graduates attend the best universities and schools in the world.
- Students are welcomed and integrated on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Please consult our website www.stjohns.be and online video segments to gain a more detailed sense of the SJIS community
The School is divided into three major divisions:
- Elementary School - Pre K through Grade 5;
- Middle School - Grades 6 through 8;
- High School - Grades 9 through 12
SJIS is governed by a Board of Directors. All of the Board members are voting members. The Board is comprised of FcJ sisters, parents and ex-parents.
St. John’s Guiding Statements
St. John’s students live our values to impact the world.
St. John’s International School provides an English-language education based on Christian values, demands personal excellence and stimulates individual responsibility within a culturally diverse environment.
St. John's embraces its historical tradition and, in particular, the Christian values of:
Companionship - the gentleness to befriend and strength to accompany
Respect - of people, languages, cultures, beliefs and values
Integrity - being true to ourselves, to each other, and to our world
Expected characteristics of a St. John’s member of Faculty
St. John’s International School seeks teachers who will demonstrate above-stated the values, support the vision, and help us achieve the mission of the school.
With this in mind, the St. John’s teacher will fully support the school’s ethos and educational approach, both in theory and in action. Equally he/she will exhibit the following characteristics: The successful St. John’s teacher:
- Actively supports our system of education and the regulations of the school.
- Sees learning as a journey undertaken in the context of the community including students, parents, alumni, staff, and faculty;
- Brings strong subject knowledge and educational expertise to his or her teaching and fully commits to continuous learning through professional development , coaching and collaboration;
- Differentiates effectively and proactively in the multi-cultural, multi-lingual classroom environment, ensuring non-native English speakers and students with diverse learning needs are encouraged and challenged to reach their own potential;
- Embraces the multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment of St. John’s, encouraging engagement from all students and parents to become full participants in the life of the school;
- Communicates openly and effectively with students, colleagues, staff, supervisors, parents and community members to understand needs and issues while supporting the learning of each child and the ethos of the school;
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills in the classroom, in the staffroom, and in all aspects of school and personal life;
- Collaborates with colleagues to ensure teams are engaged and successful, initiatives are carried out, and instruction is based on understanding and addressing student need;
- Is knowledgeable about curriculum design and development and the developmental needs of children;
- Shows the capacity to inspire students to learn;
- Is organized, efficient and judicious with time commitments;
- Is able to use technology in the classroom to enhance learning, to develop curriculum and ensure effective communication about student progress and achievement. (Smartboard, Moodle, Studywiz, Blackbaud etc. all used at St. John’s)
- Commits to support of the child, the team, the division, the school and the community through teaching as well as volunteering time and energy to initiatives and events outside the classroom (clubs, sports, fine arts, parent programs, learning academies, etc.);
- Demonstrates a sense of humor and a’can-do’ attitude.
St. John's International School is currently hiring:
Please find the job description and information on the application process here.